Green Holiday Tips
The holiday season is a great time to spend with friends and family, but there’s always a lot of materials left over after the festivities. Here are some quick tips for recycling your holiday decorations and left overs.
- Rather than throwing away the bows for presents, keep them and use them again next year.
- Try not to place materials in recycling with ribbons still attached to them.
- Recycle wrapping paper if it doesn’t have glitter, a metallic finish or velvety flocking on it.
- Glitter can’t be recycled so tear off the glitter covered areas to put in the trash and place the rest in recycling.
- If you have big pieces of wrapping paper that aren’t torn, reuse them for next year.
- Keep your holiday cards and use them for holiday garland for next year’s decorations.
- Break down your boxes before you place them in the recycling bin.
- Bring your old holiday lights that are burnt out to the recycling center.
We hope these quick and easy tips help your holidays to be a little greener and everyone has a happy New Year.
For more recycling information go check out the Winneshiek County Recycling website!
-Your local Green Iowa AmeriCorps Team