We're excited to announce that registration is now open for the 7-9th
We’re excited to announce that registration is now open for the 7-9th grade OWL Inspired course this winter, sponsored by the Decorah Unitarian Universalists.
The program will be held Wednesday 5-6:30pm and Sunday afternoons 1:30-3:30pm during February thru April, with May utilized as make-up dates. It begins with a session for parents Sunday, February 2nd, with the program starting Wednesday, February 5th. There will be 26 sessions for the OWL Inspired participants during the school year. Hannah Breckbill and Neil Martinsen-Burrell will be facilitating the program. The group will be limited to 13 students. Partial scholarships are available. Please inquire if interested.
To enroll your child(ren), please fill out this google form, and the $125 OWL Program fee (checks written out to Decorah UU) can be handed in at the parent’s meeting. The Program fee covers material costs, space rental, snacks, and facilitator training.
By registering your child(ren), you are committing to:
- At least one parent attending the parent session. Attendance is mandatory in order to prepare and inform the parents on what will be covered throughout the course.
- Your child(ren) attending the 26 sessions throughout the course.
This is the first time we are trying this format. The facilitators are open to shifting the schedule a little bit forward or back on either Wednesday or Sunday if that better serves students’ schedules. Please bring this up if you are curious. Because the class is so long we’re curious what happens if it only lasts 3 instead of 6 months, and meets twice instead of once per week. Parents of 7th graders have wondered in the past if the program will be offered next year. I can tell you that we love to offer the program, but are always limited by the availability of our volunteer facilitators. Please let us know if you know of folks interested in becoming a trained facilitator for any OWL age group!
*Inspired: We add this word for transparency. Because Hannah is trained in the young adult/adult curriculum and the K-6 grade curriculum, but not the 7-9 grade curriculum, the OWL Program asks that we be clear that the class is inspired, rather than certified. Hannah has team facilitated the 7-9 grade class with Lara and Neil who are certified, as well as facilitated classes she was certified for in K-1st grades, 4-6 grades, and with college students.
Our Whole Lives Values
The content embodies these values:
- Sexual Health
- Justice and Inclusivity
Our Whole Lives Offers
· Honest, age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
· Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
· Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
· Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
· Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
· Acceptance of diversity
· Encouragement to act for justice
· Parent orientation programs that affirm and support parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
· A well designed, easy-to-use facilitator’s guide
· Facilitator trainings offered across the United States
(Wednesday) 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm