Maintenance Mechanic/Boiler Operator
Website Luther College
Operate the Luther College Heating Plant in such a manner as to provide a constant uninterrupted supply of steam to the Luther campus. Maintain and validate automation systems for proper and accurate operation. Help to analyze data to determine operational savings. Perform this service at all times in a safe method to insure personal safety and safety to all Luther College faculty, staff, students, and guests.
- Operate boilers safely while being alert and able to handle emergencies
- Perform proper water tests; boiler, softener, and condensate
- Work safely with chemicals, steam, and 190+degree water
- Maintain all plant daily records
- Do required pol tests, record keeping, and filter maintenance, especially prior to pool opening
- Test and maintain all steam lines to buildings
- Test cooling towers for proper chemicals and operation
- Record operational data for chillers and water softeners
- Review Automated Logic building automation system for:
- proper set points
- verify operational parameters
- check actual values to reported values
- re-commission controls on a schedule
- log operational data for further system cost review
- Perform preventative work or repairs from work order system
- Plumbing requests
- Mechanical requests HVAC
- Replacing lamps, shutting off circuits, resetting circuit breakers, etc.
- Handle all types of work requests on weekends that come up
- Do required pool tests, record keeping, and filter maintenance, especially prior to pool opening
- Welding/brazing for college repair work
- Metal fabrication for needs on campus
- Assist in unloading fuel transports.
- Other work as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Must be able to read, follow and give direction. Must be able to diagnose problems and determine an appropriate solution. Must be able to read and interpret blueprints for troubleshooting.
- High School Diploma required
- Mechanical or electrical background
- Experience with boiler operation
- Will need computer skills for spreadsheets, monitoring computerized building automation system, e-mail, etc.
- Ability to cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and friends of the college
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Drivers License
- Boiler Operator 1 (ability to obtain through Luther)
- Boiler Operator 2 (ability to obtain through Luther)
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) (ability to obtain through Luther)
- Private School or College Routine Maintenance
- Specialty License (ability to obtain through Luther)
- Mobility: ability to ascend and descend ladders of various heights, stairs, scaffolding and ramps; not be afraid of heights; walk or stand for extended periods of time
- Lifting: ability to lift and hold 75 pounds, frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 50 pounds, lifting and holding 10-25 pounds above head
- Dexterity: must have a full range of motion in the upper extremities; manual dexterity to operate equipment including scissors lifts, power tools and hand tools; ability to work for extended periods with arms above head.
- Inside and outside buildings—working in temperatures that range from heated rooms to outside temperatures of extreme heat and cold
- High noise levels
- Extreme temperature changes
- Buildings and grounds are smoke/tobacco free
- Shifts up to 12 hrs, night shift possible
- Overtime may be required
- Will need to work rotating weekends and be on call
- Some areas may be poorly ventilated or heavily congested
- Exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, noise, dust and fumes
- Required to work in restricted places which may require stooping, bending and kneeling
About Luther College:
Luther College offers an excellent benefit package including generous employer retirement contributions, competitive health insurance premiums, short and long-term disability, life insurance, and tuition benefits for employee, spouse, and dependents. Additionally, Luther College has an outstanding PTO program. New full-time employees can earn up to 30 days of PTO per year, in addition to time off for holidays which includes a full week of holiday pay between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Luther College seeks to build a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students. Women and persons of diverse ethnic backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and perspectives to create an academic community rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates are encouraged to identify their strengths or experiences that will contribute to this goal.
Please visit the Luther College careers site for more information about working at Luther College and living in beautiful Decorah, Iowa.
To apply for this job please visit secure6.saashr.com.