Website Montauk Historic Site
Historic House Museum and Historic Grounds
This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs.
Description: Montauk Historic Site (operated by the State Historical Society of Iowa) is looking for an individual to fill the Guide position at our historic house museum and farm in Clermont, Iowa. Guide’s are responsible for the face-to-face interactions with the visiting public. The Guide position is a challenging, yet rewarding one. The position requires the learning and memorizing of the tour as well as the Larrabee family history and sharing that history with visitors and school groups in an exciting and engaging way. It is a position that requires an outgoing and friendly personality.
Montauk is open for tours of the house seven days a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day, and then open from Labor Day to the end of October on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Guides are responsible for giving the daily tours at Montauk, which typically last 45 minutes each. Tours are started every 15 minutes (if there are visitors), and at least one other Guide assists with each tour. We are open on all holidays and weekends are required.
Guides are also responsible for greeting the visitors that come to the Clermont Museum. The Clermont Museum is an additional museum that is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, Friday-Sunday (noon-4:00pm). Guides are scheduled on a rotating basis for the Clermont Museum.
All necessary information, training manuals, and training sessions will be provided. A uniform shirt is provided and required.
Hours: Guides are scheduled to work weekdays and weekends (including some holidays) 11:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or until all of the guests have exited the house. Schedule is flexible with an average of 15 hours a week during the main open season.
The normal scheduled open season is Memorial Day thru Labor Day, seven days a week. Then Labor Day thru the end of October, Friday-Sunday. Some special events outside the normal season are school tours in May, and our Holiday Open House in December.
Guides are expected to:
– Assist with the opening and closing of the house and outbuildings
– Assist with general cleaning of the house and outbuildings
– Greet visitors in a welcoming manner and provide engaging tours to the general public and school groups.
– Attend staff meetings and enrichment programs.
– Serve as an informal goodwill ambassador for Montauk
– Deal skillfully with diverse visitors under a variety of circumstances.
– Share in the responsibility of opening and guiding at the Clermont Museum as well as keeping it cleaned (Friday-Sunday during the main open season)
– Take part in and assist with events and activities at Montauk. Work time can be used in preparing for events.
– Assist Site Coordinator in preservation related projects and research as time allows.
To apply please see this link: Museum Guide
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.