Website Seed Savers Exchange
Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization based in Decorah, Iowa focused on conserving and promoting America’s culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers Exchange is seeking an Evaluation Technician to join our team. The ideal candidate should have experience working in a team environment and have a background in horticulture or a related plant science degree.
Applications accepted through February 28, 2021.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to [email protected] – include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Alex Brandt | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Preservation Department
Support the Evaluation Program by evaluating hundreds of varieties of garden crops both in the field and lab.
- Under the direction of the Evaluation and Trials Manager perform evaluation tasks on over 40 crop types and 500 varieties annually, including but not limited to:
- data collection
- digital scanning
- field photography
- taste evaluation
- Assist in planning, installing, and maintaining evaluation gardens.
- Write variety descriptions for the annual yearbook and online exchange listings.
- Assist in filling seed orders and communicating with Citizen Science Corps participants.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Evaluation and Trials Manager
- Conduct background research on varieties in the collection to determine compliance with the accessions policy.
- Oversee interns and volunteers working with the evaluation team.
- Participate in field activities as assigned by the Seed Production Manager.
- Assist the Marketing Department to help highlight and promote varieties and evaluation activities through articles, blogs, and presentations.
- Represent Seed Savers Exchange during events by giving tours and presentations.
- Work with the Lillian Goldman Visitor Center staff to help with tours of evaluation gardens.
- Evaluate Seed House varieties as needed.
- Set a winter work plan to work to assist Seed House order fulfillment in addition to Preservation tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional team building skills as well as the ability to work independently
- Proficiency with Office Suite and ability to work in a complex Access database
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Degree or experience in horticulture, plant science, botany, or biology
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Employee/family health insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- 401(k) with employer match
- Employee wellness program and merchandise discounts
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.seedsavers.org.