Historic Orchard Intern
Website Seed Savers Exchange
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking a Historic Orchard Intern to assist the Orchard Management Team in revitalizing two heritage variety apple orchards. These two orchards cover approximately 10 acres and contain about 1200 apple varieties. The trees are at various stages of growth from nursery trees to 30 year old giants, with a new high density section to be planted. Day to day work includes orchard floor establishment, grafting, pruning, assisting in integrated pest management (IPM) monitoring, and general orchard maintenance and tree care. We’re looking for a motivated individual that’s passionate about learning orchard management and preserving rare apple varieties. Candidates with experience in horticulture through formal or informal training will be preferred.
This is a non-exempt seasonal position working 40 hours/week for up to 12 weeks. Applications considered through April 9, 2021.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to [email protected] – include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Alex Brandt | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining orchard floor including mowing and planting cover crops
- Planting bare root trees
- Assist with and learn standard pruning techniques for all
- Grafting and tree nursery maintenance.
- Data entry of inventory into Microsoft Access
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to stay motivated amidst repetitive tasks
- Previous experience working in an orchard setting is a plus, but not required
- Background or familiarity in agriculture or adjacent interests
- Curiosity and love of learning
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work during inclement weather including heat and rain
- Ability to work long hours standing and walking
- Relative comfort using and learning to use small machinery
- Compensation: 40hr/wk position at $11.00/hr
- Paid holidays
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.seedsavers.org.