Seasonal Seed Steward
Website Seed Savers Exchange
Seed Savers Exchange is now hiring for multiple seasonal Seed Steward positions. This position will support Seed Savers Exchange field staff with all field work and seed production activities. This work includes seed bank collection regeneration, catalog seed production, and evaluation grow outs.
The ideal candidate will fulfill a seasonal full-time position (40 hrs/week for a 6 month period), working from early May through October 31st, 2021. However, start date, end date, and position duration may be flexible. Occasional weekend or holiday work may be required.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted through April 21, 2021. Positions open until filled.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to [email protected] – include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Alex Brandt | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing fields for direct seeding and transplanting
- Setting up and maintaining fences, trellises, and pollination cages
- Mulching with hay and laying landscape fabric
- Tending fields, including watering and hand weeding, weed whipping in-row and along perimeter fence lines
- Harvesting fruits, vegetables, grains, and seeds
- Threshing, extracting, and hand-processing seeds following organizational protocols to ensure the genetic purity and organic certification of productions
- Cleaning up fields at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, landscape fabric, and other infrastructure
- Maintaining order and cleanliness in equipment shed, trucks, trailers, and other workspaces
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and a flexible team player
- Must be able to work in groups or small teams
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred
- Ability to operate roto-tillers, weed-whips, and other small-scale farm and garden implements is preferred
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Paid holidays
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Participation in employee wellness program
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.seedsavers.org.