Submit a New Post
Submit a New Post
Manage your Existing Posts
Avoid Scams in the Classifieds
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules whenever using DecorahNow.com:
DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON – follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE
DECORAHNOW IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION.
DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN
DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.
If you suspect that a DecorahNow post may be part of a scam, please send us the details. Recognizing scams: Most scams involve one or more of the following: inquiry from someone far away, often in another country Western Union, Money Gram, cashier’s check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a “guarantee”, inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before making the transaction
Read Before Posting:
All posts to DecorahNow are currently free, though we offer you a chance to make a $25 donation.
In an effort to present the most helpful material to our readers, each post is reviewed prior to being published on the site.
We reserve the right to not publish a post for any reason.
Disclaimer: DecorahNow.com is not responsible for any personal information you post on this website (That includes your name, phone number, email, the content of your post, etc.). Please use this site only if you are comfortable posting this information as you will be doing so at your own risk.
Why it is important to include your name
We encourage you to include your name in your posting, – at least your first name and initial, and better yet your whole name. Why? This website and service, though it is on the world wide web, is after all just about and for us, a small local community of people, a lot of whom we see on the street every week. By including your name you will exponentially increase the chances that you will get what you’re looking for because people who know you can stop you in the street or at work or whatever. But more than that, you also help build and protect the community, because knowing who each other is, and giving each other opportunities to help each other out, makes a big difference.
Here is a partial list of items that are prohibited:
– puppies, dogs, and ads related to dog breeding. Around 2013 we stopped publishing dog and puppy ads on DecorahNow because, among the legitimate ads, we were getting ads that some of our readers perceived as “puppy mills”. It was both tough and time-consuming for us to tell the difference (so we would forward them to a few readers to get their opinion as well), and eventually, it became clear that the easiest action was to add puppies and dog breeding ads in general to our list of prohibited ads.
– pet sales (re-homing with small adoption fee ok), animal parts, stud service
– weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, and spear guns; etc
– ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives
– recalled items; hazardous materials; body parts/fluids; unsanitized bedding/clothing
– prescription drugs, medical devices; controlled substances and related items
– alcohol or tobacco; unpackaged or adulterated food or cosmetics
– endangered, imperiled and/or protected species and any parts thereof, e.g. ivory
– false, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent content; bait and switch; keyword spam
– offensive, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or malicious postings or email
– anyone’s personal, identifying, confidential or proprietary information
– food stamps, WIC vouchers, SNAP or WIC goods, governmental assistance
– stolen property, property with serial number removed/altered, burglary tools, etc
– ID cards, licenses, police insignia, government documents, birth certificates, etc
– US military items not demilitarized in accord with Defense Department policy
– counterfeit, replica, or pirated items; tickets or gift cards that restrict transfer
– lottery or raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries, slot machines, gambling items
– spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content
– postings or email the primary purpose of which is to drive traffic to a website
– postings or email offering, promoting, or linking to unsolicited products or services
– affiliate marketing; network, or multi-level marketing; pyramid schemes
– any good, service, or content that violates the law or legal rights of others