Office Administrator & Digital Communications Associate
Website Decorah Congregational United Church of Christ (UCC)
Worship. Love. Serve.
Join the staff of our growing, progressive congregation! We’re seeking a curious and creative candidate with skills in maintaining office systems (including some bookkeeping) and developing an online presence (web, social media, and Zoom/livestream) in service of our mission: to care for our neighbors and create spaces where everyone, everyone, everyone can encounter the Sacred and be empowered to serve.
Status: Part-time (averaging 20 hours/week)
FLSA: Non-exempt (hourly)
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for employer contributions to benefits, including medical insurance, negotiable.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. In your cover letter, describe why you are drawn to this position and how you envision contributing your gifts and skills in both parts of this role—office administration and digital communications. We welcome links to online portfolios and digital footprints on social media.
For a full job description, click here.
The responsibilities of this position are twofold. As Office Administrator, this staff member will maintain and develop office systems that facilitate effective and faithful management of our shared resources for ministry—including our building and finances. They will often be the primary contact for congregants and community members inquiring about the life of the congregation. In addition, as Digital Communications Associate, the staff member will collaborate with staff to develop and implement a digital communications strategy with a focus on curating a web, social media, and remote worship presence that builds relationships, shares information, and forms identity among members of the congregation and our community partners.
ADMINISTRATION (12-15 hours/week)
- Support the mission of the congregation and understand their role in creating and fostering a meaningful, vibrant church community committed to extravagant welcome and progressive, inclusive theology
- Respond to phone messages and emails concerning the life of the church
- Prepare Sunday bulletins after receiving the necessary information from other staff (once in-person worship resumes)
- Administer financial and accounting affairs of the church in conjunction with the volunteer financial secretary and treasurer, including paying bills and the electronic recording of all transactions
- Maintain a cloud-based church database system as a centralized hub for communications, giving, and record-keeping
- Maintain accurate cloud-based and paper filing systems
- Serve as the first point of contact for rental inquiries—managing security (key access) and coordinating calendars with the intention of expanding opportunities for our community to make use of our space
- Coordinate the preparation of church annual reports, conference reports, and music licensing reporting
- Order office and church supplies and arrange for the maintenance of office equipment
DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS (5-8 hours/week)
- Work with the pastor and lay leaders to develop and implement a digital communications strategy that aligns with the congregation’s mission, vision, and values
- Curate a social media presence for the congregation (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.), both to build community among folks already connected and to minister to new folks seeking connection, meaning, purpose, and personal/social transformation in a progressive, faith-rooted context
- Strongly preferred: Help run tech for Zoom worship gatherings on Sunday mornings (10:15 AM–noon), including managing the audio and screen-sharing visuals
- Assist in pre- and post-production of online worship service videos (currently recorded live on Zoom; eventually via livestream of in-person worship)
- Proactively share stories of our congregation in ministry in order to produce compelling digital content (posts, images, and videos) for worship and other faith formation ministries
- Work with the pastor and lay leaders in preparing engaging and mission-aligned copy for weekly/monthly email campaigns and seasonal print letter campaigns
- Serve as the church webmaster: coding as needed; adding new content and features; and monitoring security, performance, and search engine optimization
- Participate in staff meetings
- Build and sustain strong relationships with staff and church leaders to ensure messaging is current, relevant, and aligned with mission
- Stay current on creative trends in technology and communications and look for opportunities to communicate more effectively, internally and externally
- A welcoming, collegial spirit
- Proficiency with the essentials of office administration, accounting, and electronic communications—including use of databases, QuickBooks, Google Drive/Docs, MailChimp, and WordPress—and/or demonstrated ease in learning new software platforms as needed
- Proficiency in basic video editing and web design
- Ability to set up, maintain, and ensure the security and confidentiality of data and information
- Ability to maintain any posted office hours, while also working remotely
- Availability for tasks (e.g., emergency check writing) that require a quick turnaround
- Competency with graphic design (raster and vector graphics) and coding in HTML/CSS
- Prior experience coordinating or contributing to the digital communications and social media presence of a group or organization
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com