Hospice Ride

Join our hospice team on June 12th for a memorial ride (rain or shine) led through Iowa. Cost is $15 per entry. Begins at 9:00am at the WMC campus with breakfast, and ends at Pivo Brewery at 4:30pm with a silent auction.

*All proceeds support Winneshiek Medical Center Hospice*

Breakfast will be served at WMC between 9 – 10:30am. A guided poker run will leave WMC at 11:00am and return to PIVO Brewery at 4:30 for a silent auction and snacks. For more information call WMC Hospice at 563-387-3024.

Back to Classes and Events calendar

Source link

Dorian Summer Music Camps are back at Luther College!

After a two-summer hiatus due to the pandemic, Dorian Summer Music Camps are back at Luther College! Registration is now open for the Middle School Camp (June 12-18, 2022) and the High School Camp (June 19-25, 2022).

Campers will enjoy a week of music-making; campus living; a variety of classes including, art, theatre, and dance; social activities; and performances. 

“We are thrilled that Dorian Summer Music Camp is back at Luther this summer,” said Shelly Schaeufele, Dorian dean of students. “Our theme this year is ‘A Big TO-DO in 22.’ These are my favorite two weeks of the summer as a music educator because I get to be back at this place I love. I get to see campers live out their passion while making memories, friendships and music. I get to meet the most amazing people and work with them to run an incredible camp. Throughout the years, Dorian camps and festivals have had a big impact on people’s lives and we are so glad to be back.”

Each summer, hundreds of student musicians spend a week at Luther College to study, explore and perform music under the mentorship of Luther’s impressive music faculty.

The daily camp schedule includes ensemble rehearsals for band, choir, and orchestra, instrument-specific workshops, a wide variety of classes, and private lessons, offset by evening talent nights, concerts, sports and social outings. The camp ends with a grand concert in Luther’s Center for Faith and Life. Students live in residence halls on campus and eat their meals at the college cafeteria.

Maya Winkel is a Luther College student who experienced Luther for the first time as a Dorian summer camper. She says that Dorian is where she met her closest friends, discovered her love of music, and the joy of making it. Now, she works as a camp counselor.

“My favorite part of camp for sure was the variety show near the end of the week as well as the other recitals that happened each night; it was so awesome to see the talented people who I got to spend a week with do what they loved to do! Coming back as a counselor, I want to help these campers find the same joy that I found when I came to this camp for the first time when I was 12, and share with them the joy I have for it still. Dorian is an experience that I recommend for all young musicians, it is such a joyful and fun experience and the counselors and conductors are so excited to meet you!” said Winkel.

There is a COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirement in place this year due to the pandemic. For more information and to register, visit luther.edu/music/dorian.

About Luther College Music

Luther is home to one of the largest undergraduate music programs in the nation, with five choirs, three orchestras, two bands and two jazz bands. One-third of all Luther students participate in music, including large ensembles, faculty-coached chamber groups, private lessons and master classes. Nearly 175 music majors study music theory, ear training, history, education, composition, jazz, church music and performance. Learn more at luther.edu/music.

Source link

June Take-and-Makes

Take and make decorative image

We provide the supplies for a project–you pick them up at the library and do the project at home.  This summer we’re shifting to a monthly sign-up model in order to support a busy program schedule while still providing fun at-home projects.  Sign-up at the beginning of each month.  Pick-up your project each week at the library.

month our Take-and-Make projects are:

6/7: Summer Luminaries
6/14: Citrus prints
6/21: Nature Walk Bracelets
6/28: Watercolor Fireworks Please pick up materials at the library each Tuesday between 9 am and 7 pm. Supplies are limited. Register early to guarantee a space.   If materials are short, preference will be given to participants who register before 5/27. 

Registration Required. Use form below to sign up for the entire month or individual sessions. 

Enter a phone number where you can be reached in case of changes in the event status

Enter an email to contact you in case of changes in event status

Select the name of the event you are registering for from the list

Enter the total number of people in your group attending or participating in this event

First and last name of person/s attending or participating in the event. Separate multiple names with a comma.

Source link

July Take-and-Makes

Take and make decorative image

We provide the supplies for a project–you pick them up at the library and do the project at home.  This summer we’re shifting to a monthly sign-up model in order to support a busy program schedule while still providing fun at-home projects.  Sign-up at the beginning of each month.  Pick-up your project each week at the library.

month our Take-and-Make projects are:

7/5: Squirt Gun Painting
7/12: Pressed Plant Bookmark
7/19: Ice Painting
7/26: Clay nest

Please pick up materials at the library each Tuesday between 9 am and 7 pm. Supplies are limited. Register early to guarantee a space.   If materials are short, preference will be given to participants who register before 5/27.

Registration Required. Use form below to sign up for the entire month or individual sessions. 

Enter a phone number where you can be reached in case of changes in the event status

Enter the total number of people in your group attending or participating in this event

First and last name of person/s attending or participating in the event. Separate multiple names with a comma.

Source link

Mikayla Oz Magic Show

6/7
1 pm
Decorah Public Library’s Upper Mezzanine

Direct from the Cornfields of Iowa comes a rising star in magic, Mikayla Oz. Mikayla has recently been featured on the Travel Channel’s Magic Caught on Camera Show and Penn & Tellers: Try This at Home TV Special. She combines magic, comedy and storytelling to make a truly unforgettable show!

Registration required. Register for this, and other events, on our Calendar of Events page. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.

This program is free and open to the public. It is sponsored by Friends of Decorah Public Library, and Marion E. Jerome Foundation Inc.

Source link

International Owl Center: Build an Owl

6/23
11 am
Decorah Public Library’s upper mezzanine

Are owl eyes more like binoculars or a magnifying glass? What shape is an owl’s beak?

Come to learn first-hand about owl adaptations by identifying the pieces and parts of an owl. Once all the correct adaptations have been picked, a LIVE owl will come out for a visit.  Registration required. Register for this, and other events, on our Calendar of Events page.

Presented by the International Owl Center, this program is free and open to the public. It is sponsored by Friends of Decorah Public Library, Marion E. Jerome Foundation Inc. and Decorah Methodist Church Trust Fund. 

Source link

Eagle Bluff: Raptors on the Road

6/16
11 am

Join year-round environmental learning center, Eagle Bluff, for Raptors on the Road, an interactive program featuring live birds.

Registration required. Register for this and other events on our Calendar of Events. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.

This program is free and open to the public. It is sponsored by Friends of Decorah Public Library, and Marion E. Jerome Foundation Inc.

Source link

Martika Daniels: Circus Arts Variety Show

6/28
11 am

All ages.

Internationally renowned and motivationally captivating, Martika and her one woman show hail from Kansas City, MO. Raised in a military family, Martika grew comfortable constantly moving about the globe from a young age. This exposure to international performers sparked her interest in the circus arts. Constantly looking to push herself, in 2008 Martika sought out the best teachers to further her knowledge in fire arts,  escapology, and sideshow stunts. Since then she has been featured on numerous news outlets such as Lawrence Business Magazine, KCUR, FOX4 KC, and the top international wellness corporation, Wanderlust. 

Registration required.  Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult. Register below or use the “Register” button in the event details.

Source link

Summer Crafternoons

Thursday Crafternoons
3:30-4:30 pm

at Decorah Public Library

Join us for some crafty fun.  All ages welcome.  Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.   Preregistration required. Please use form below to register.

6/9: Tissue Paper Rainbows
6/30: Spirograph Art
7/7: Seed Mosaic
7/14: Painted Butterfly Toy

What to expect: 

This program is designed to be informal and fun.  Participants can come for part or all of the allotted time and work at their own pace.  We understand that in a multi-age setting that attention spans will vary and welcome you to participate at the level that feels appropriate. 

Source link

1 54 55 56 57 58 75