Ride for Ukraine raises nearly $7,000 for Ukrainian organizations

The Ride for Ukraine fundraiser, organized by Luther College students, was a major success. On Saturday, May 7, a group of students and professors from Luther, along with local community members, completed a 75-mile bike ride from Rochester, Minnesota to Decorah, Iowa, to advocate for peace in Ukraine.

“As I had never organized something like that before, and the event had been postponed, I was unsure of how it would go,” said Anita Tamang, student organizer. “After seeing the whole team arrive, I felt relieved and knew it was going to be a great day. I am grateful to the entire team who invested so much time and effort into it, including some of my friends who pushed themselves and completed 40-70 miles despite not being regular cyclists. Others made a super-early trip from Decorah to Rochester to support the cause. The whole team gave their best effort, and I am so proud of them. It is difficult for me to adequately express how grateful I am to each of them for their dedication and contribution to this cause and most importantly, for believing in us.”

Tamang organized the event with the help of Souk Sengsaisouk and their faculty advisor, Maryna Nading, who is from Ukraine. To date, close to $7,000 has been raised which will go directly to the oncology clinic in Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine, where Nading’s mother works. Funds will also be given to address current gaps in care for people impacted by war, including the internally displaced.

As the day wrapped up and riders made it back to Decorah, Nading was at the Luther Bell to welcome them back.

“I felt both joy and gratitude as I watched the riders arrive at Luther Bell one by one or in small groups. Truly, they have given me something I can never repay–a deeply meaningful gesture of support and the ability to send much-needed funds to the volunteers in my hometown who are best positioned to provide immediate support to people impacted by war,” said Nading. “On the ground, there are many gaps in care, and being able to close some of these gaps with the help of everyone who participated in this ride is an essential work towards peace. I am grateful that I can serve as a bridge, and hope to welcome people to Ukraine someday when the war ends!”

The GoFundMe page will remain active for several weeks.

About Luther College

Luther College is home to about 1,800 undergraduates who explore big questions and take action to benefit people, communities and society. Our academic programs, experiential approach to learning and welcoming community inspire students to learn actively, live purposefully and lead courageously for a lifetime of impact. Learn more at luther.edu.

Source link

Luther College announces 2022-23 Fulbright scholars

Luther College senior Annika Dome and alumnus Soren Gloege have been selected as Fulbright English Teaching Assistants to Germany for the 2022-23 academic year. Recipients of Fulbright awards are selected based upon leadership potential, academic achievement and record of service.

Annika Dome ’22, from La Crosse, Wisconsin, will graduate from Luther College in May with majors in German, English, and Nordic studies. Her interest in Germany was kindled when she began learning German in seventh grade. A participant in the 2020 Münster semester (which was cut short due to the pandemic), Dome is “really looking forward to living in Germany again, meeting new people, and becoming a member of a German community.” After her Fulbright, Dome plans to return to the Midwest to use the skill sets she has gained at Luther and through her Fulbright experience.

Soren Gloege ’21, from Apple Valley, Minnesota, graduated from Luther College with majors in German and political science. He chose to pursue a Fulbright because it is “an excellent opportunity for organic political and cultural exchange, which is the key to long-lasting, healthy political relationships.” Gloege also participated in the 2020 Münster Semester and found his imagination captured by the country. After his Fulbright in Germany, he plans to pursue a graduate degree in comparative politics.

The Fulbright Program

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to forge lasting connections between the people of the U.S. and people of other countries, counter misunderstandings, and help people and nations work together toward common goals. Since its establishment in 1946, the Fulbright Program has enabled more than 390,000 dedicated and accomplished students, scholars, artists, teachers and professionals of all backgrounds to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and find solutions to shared international concerns.

The Fulbright Program is funded through an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations around the world also provide direct and indirect support to the Program, which operates in more than 160 countries worldwide.

For further information about the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State, please visit http://eca.state.gov/fulbright.

About Luther College

Luther College is home to about 1,800 undergraduates who explore big questions and take action to benefit people, communities and society. Our academic programs, experiential approach to learning and welcoming community inspire students to learn actively, live purposefully and lead courageously for a lifetime of impact. Learn more at luther.edu.

Source link

Luther College students and faculty featured in Star Wars Insider magazine

At Luther College, learning happens everywhere, and sometimes in unconventional ways. In Andy Hageman’s classroom, learning includes a journey into a galaxy far, far away that brings international and domestic students closer together.

Hageman, associate professor of English at Luther College, teaches a science fiction film course that allows students to explore specific areas of film and cultivate visual media knowledge. During the course, students analyze and compare two Star Wars films: “Star Wars: A New Hope” (1977) and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016). 

“The combination of different exposures to Star Wars makes it a vibrant topic for discussion and it introduces some surprising perspectives,” said Hageman. “In particular, international students connect the films to their own experiences of journeying far, far from home and navigating new cultures, relationships and values. Often they see Star Wars as a socially-shared story with immense power to connect and communicate.”

These observations were recently featured in the article titled “Great Expectations” in Star Wars Insider.

One student, for whom English was her second language, noted the multilingual abilities of various characters, while another student, Tam Ta, from Vietnam, found the lack of language barriers between characters to be especially significant.

“It was really exciting to be able to offer my feelings and interpretations of Star Wars,” said Ta. “I never thought deeply about my experience coming to the U.S. as it relates to the movies so it was nice to unfold my own thoughts, assumptions and expectations.”

The personal experiences of international students sparked further conversation and connections between students. Many shared the common experience of engaging with popular media such as Star Wars as a way to prepare for American life. Chi Pham, also from Vietnam, said “as a person of color, and an international student, it has always been my interest to understand U.S. culture and how films such as Star Wars sparked discussion about culture and political movements. I felt honored and grateful to have my voice included in this project.”

Others made historical connections and observed unique sociological dynamics. In the article, Warsan Yusuf ’20 from Somalia also noted the significance of the relationships between droids and humans, prompting discussion surrounding the history of slavery and racism.

These observations and more can be found in the March 15 issue of Star Wars Insider, the official Star Wars magazine.

“When international students share expectations and experiences like this with American students, Star Wars helps build bridges,” said Hageman. “Ultimately, this suggests that Star Wars is not a story about conflict but about drawing people together.”

About Luther College

Source link

Decorah FFA Competes in Ag Mechanic Contest

Submitted by: Morgan Moen, Decorah FFA Reporter

Decorah FFA had three members compete in district FFA Ag Mechanics contest held at Northeast Iowa Community College on . Twenty-six FFA teams from throughout Northeast Iowa competed in this contest. Students took a knowledge exam and completed hands-on activities including electrical wiring, carpentry, MIG welding, skid loader and lawn mower maintenance, and parts identification. Justin Nierling, Carter Schmelzer, and Dalton Zidlicky received 9th place overall as a team.

4.28.22 District Ag Mechanics Decorah 9th place team Zidlicky Nierling Schmelzer
Decorah FFA’s Ag Mechanics team (l-r):  Dalton Zidlicky, Justin Nierling, and Carter Schmelzer. 

May Children’s Activities

3-Take-and-Make: Marshmallow and Toothpick Challenge*
4-Yoga in the Park
4-Biking Field Trip*
5-Crafternoon: Salt Dough and Seed Art*
6-Baby Dance Party
9-Storytime in the Park
10-Take-and-Make: Sidewalk Art*
10-Dog Tales
11-Yoga in the Park
11-Biking Field Trip*
12-Chalk our Walk
13-Stroller Walk
16-Storytime in the Park
18-Yoga in the Park
19-Chalk our Walk
20-Stroller Walk
24-Dog Tales
25-Yoga in the Park
* Registration Required

Source link

Mary Duvall named vice president for development at Luther College

President Jenifer K. Ward has announced the appointment of Mary Duvall as vice president for development at Luther College. Beginning this summer, Duvall will provide leadership and mentoring to staff in the offices of development, alumni relations, and the Career Center. 

“During the interview process, I observed how different groups meeting with Mary moved quickly from interviewing to actually starting the work together,” said Ward. “Her exceptional listening skills and knowledge of Lutheran values and approach to higher education, as well as specific familiarity with Luther College through family and colleague relationships, were all apparent and heartening. I welcome Mary to our leadership team and look forward to introducing her to our community.”

As vice president for development, Duvall will provide strategic direction for all aspects of the college’s fundraising and external engagement efforts and serve as a key member of the president’s cabinet. She will be tasked with formulating a future fundraising plan for the college that harnesses the momentum of successful 2022 campaigns including Giving Day and One Team Day. 

“There is something truly special about Luther,” said Duvall. “The care and passion for this place is clear and I’ve witnessed first-hand the transformational power of Luther connections and a liberal arts education. My husband, Terry ’01, son Max and I are thrilled to join the Decorah community and I’m honored to serve in this capacity. I can’t wait to hear your stories of care for this institution and how, together, we can ensure equitable access, meaningful opportunities and bold outcomes for students today and generations to come.”

Duvall has 15 years of experience in non-profit management, including mission-driven fundraising for Lutheran organizations. She comes to Luther from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington, where she has worked since 2015. Duvall began employment at the university as executive director of advancement, was promoted to associate vice president of advancement in 2018, and most recently she served as associate vice president of university relations. During her tenure at PLU, Duvall managed teams that grew the institution’s annual giving, built a newly integrated alumni engagement and career development team and led the division’s annual strategic planning process. Duvall also served on a variety of cross-campus committees, including PLU’s Diversity Committee which operationalized the school’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan. 

Prior to her work at PLU, from 2007 to 2015, Duvall served in multiple capacities at Lutheran World Relief to expand their donor base, secure funding and, therefore, serve more people. The organization’s goal is to work with Lutherans and partners around the world to end poverty, injustice and human suffering. 

Duvall earned her bachelor of arts degree in religion from Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minnesota. She earned her master’s of nonprofit management degree from Hamline University in Saint Paul and a certificate of advanced leadership studies from St. Catherine’s University. She also was a recent Lutheran Educational Conference of North America (LECNA) Fellow, a program that provides a year-long leadership development experience organized around vocation and calling, sustainable leader development and visionary organizational leadership.

About Luther College

Luther College is home to about 1,800 undergraduates who explore big questions and take action to benefit people, communities and society. Our academic programs, experiential approach to learning, and welcoming community inspire students to learn actively, live purposefully, and lead courageously for a lifetime of impact. Learn more at luther.edu.

Source link

Summer Registration begins Monday, May 2

Summer Registration begins Monday, May 2

Registration for Decorah Parks and Recreation for summer programs, activities, swim lessons and pool passes begins at 8:00am Monday, May 2. Registration can be completed online using credit/debit card or in the Park-Rec Office using cash or check.

Swim lessons begin the week of June 13. Additional information regarding swim lessons is available as a pdf or can be viewed on our Swim Lessons & Classes page.

Recreation programs and activities begin the week of June 6. A complete list of recreation programs and activities is available as a pdf or can be viewed online. Please note that children registering for summer programs and activities should register based on their grade level completed during the 2021-2022 school year.

Swim lesson and recreation classes are filled on a first come first served basis, register early for best availability.

The Decorah Municipal Swimming Pool will open for the season Tuesday, May 31. Swim pool passes can be purchased online or in the Park-Rec Office for a reduced rate through Thursday, May 26. New in 2022! Decorah Parks & Recreation will have a key card & scanner system at the pool for season pass holders. Please note that when purchasing a pool pass, a photo must be uploaded for each individual. Each person will be issued their own unique QR code (sent to their email inbox) to present for pool admission. Each person may also choose to stop by the Park-Rec Office after purchasing their pool pass online to be issued their own uniquely numbered card to present for admission. A lost card can be replaced for $5.00 and must be paid for at the Park-Rec Office.

More information including hours, daily admission fees, lap swim, water walking and aquacise classes can be found on the Swimming Pool Website.

Source link

2022 Swim Pool Passes on Sale Now

2022 Swim Pool Passes on Sale Now

Swim Pool Passes are available for purchase! Pool passes can be purchased online or in the Park-Rec Office for a reduced rate through Thursday, May 26.

New in 2022! Decorah Parks & Recreation will have a key card & scanner system at the pool for season pass holders. Please note that when purchasing a pool pass, a photo must be uploaded for each individual. Each person will be issued their own unique QR code (sent to their email inbox) to present for pool admission. Each person may also choose to stop by the Park-Rec Office after purchasing their pool pass online to be issued their own uniquely numbered card to present for admission. A lost card can be replaced for $5.00 and must be paid for at the Park-Rec Office.

More information about the 2022 Swim Pool season including pool hours, admission fees, and swim lessons can be found online.

Source link

Free Event: Live Healthy Iowa Kids Track Championships

Free Event: Live Healthy Iowa Kids Track Championships

Kids racing on trackThe Live Healthy Iowa Kids Track Championships local track meet will be held at 4:30pm Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at the Decorah High School track. Youth ages 7 thru 14 as of December 31, 2022 are eligible to participate in this free event!

Registration is required and can be completed online. For a complete list of online registration instructions click here.

Registration can also be completed by filling out the PDF entry form and returning it via email (parkrec@decorahia.org) or in person to the Park-Rec Office no later than 4pm Friday, May 13.

1st place winners at the local meet will advance to the state championships in Marshalltown, Iowa on Saturday, June 18. More information is also available on the LIVE Healthy Iowa Kids Track Championship Website.

Source link

Luther College students inducted into Phi Beta Kappa

The Luther College chapter of Phi Beta Kappa has 45 new members including 41 seniors and four juniors. On Sunday, April 24, the students were inducted into the oldest and most respected undergraduate honors organization in the United States. Members are elected on the basis of broad academic interests, scholarly achievement and good character. The 2022 inductees include seniors: 

·       Riley Taylor of Ames, Iowa

·       Sarah Hoehns of Cedar Falls, Iowa

·       Clare Rolinger of Cedar Falls, Iowa

·       Sam Schillinger of Cedar Falls, Iowa

·       Sarah Damhof of Clearwater, Minnesota

·       Jarod Phillips of Decorah, Iowa

·       Heather Hostager of Dubuque, Iowa

·       Frost Bowen-Bailey of Duluth, Minnesota

·       Laurel Studt of Eau Claire, Wisconsin

·       Hunter Hobbs of Fountain, Minnesota

·       Kim Duc Chu of Hanoi, Vietnam

·       Quang Anh Nguyen of Hanoi, Vietnam

·       Quenton Max of Iowa City, Iowa

·       Lindsey Parrott of Iowa City, Iowa

·       Jake Sharafuddin of Iowa City, Iowa

·       Fred Farrand of Kansas City, Missouri

·       Isaac List of La Crosse, Wisconsin

·       Sarah Benton of Le Mars, Iowa

·       Lexi Orth of Madison Lake, Minnesota

·       Siyabonga Mabuza of Malkerns, Swaziland

·       Kirsten Loynachan of Marion, Iowa

·       Hailee Gilliand of Minneapolis, Minnesota

·       Owen Johnson of Minneapolis, Minnesota

·       Jane Bremer of Minnetonka, Minnesota

·       Ahmed Abdrabu Hamid of Yemen and Budapest, Hungary

·       Sneha Verma of New Delhi, India

·       Kirsten Melaas-Swanson of North St. Paul, Minnesota

·       Jessi Labenski of Northfield, Minnesota

·       Elena Dant of Owatonna, Minnesota

·       Matt Benson of Park Rapids, Minnesota

·       Kien Huynh of Hanoi, Vietnam

·       Siri St. Louis of Rochester, Minnesota

·       Emilie Gitter of Saint Paul, Minnesota

·       Mary McTeague of Saint Paul, Minnesota

·       Leif Saveraid of Saint Paul, Minnesota

·       Catherine Vitt of Saint Paul, Minnesota

·       Greta Anderson of Saint Peter, Minnesota

·       Jill Richards of Solon, Iowa

·       Logan Olson of Stacy, Minnesota

·       Megan Grimm of Swisher, Iowa

·       Ben Meyer of Urbandale, Iowa

And juniors:

·       Marin Leone of Chanhassen, Minnesota

·       Ghazal Alabtah of Palestine and Syria

·       Sydney Clausen of Rochester, Minnesota

·       Nathan Anderson of Saint Paul, Minnesota

The junior members will become student leaders in the organization during their senior year. They will be invited to chapter meetings and encouraged to participate in chapter activities, including the Phi Beta Kappa Visiting Scholar events.

Luther College is one of a select group of private liberal arts colleges in the United States with a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. The society has fostered and recognized excellence in the liberal arts and sciences since 1776 and the society’s distinctive emblem, a golden key, is widely recognized as a symbol of academic achievement.

Source link

1 55 56 57 58 59 74